Treating knee OA
Effectiveness of osteoarthritis (OA) treatments vary from person to person, and treatment plans for OA of the knee usually involve a combination of approaches designed specifically to suit each individual.
Preventing further damage
For patients with very progressed knee OA, surgery may remain the only option, but early diagnosis and treatment can often help prevent or slow down further damage to the joints, and enable patients to remain more active and productive.1-6.
Note that severity of OA is not only a function of its radiographic appearance.
- Kirane Y. et al. Lower Extremity Review, Sept 2010.
- Katz N, Losina E. Burden of OA – Health Services and Economics. OARSI Primer 2010. http://primer.oarsi.org/content/oarsi-primer.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). AHRQ Pub. No. 02-0023, May 2002.
- Briggs KK. et al. J Knee Surg 2012; 25:417–422. 14. Kirkley A. et al. J Bone Joint Surg1999.
- Pollo FE. et al. Am J Sports Med 2002.